Siopao King

>> Monday, November 30, 2009

Siopao

I married Angel Locsin last 2002.

You may not believe me on that one. It's okay, I won't hold it against you. But believe me when I say that after a thousand siopaos I have eaten since the dawn of time, only one stands out from the rest. Siopao is a chinese meat bun that has won the hearts of Filipinos over the years. Before, I usually eat siopao at the so called "aunthentic" chinese restaurants around Cebu. I thought that was it, I was eating the best siopao already.

Everything (except for my charm) that I used to believe was proven wrong when I entered college. In the busy street of Leon Kilat, there stand a shop called, Siopao King. They serve nothing but siopao and since it is friendly to a student's budget, I went in and ordered their siopao.

Like the famous overused quote, the rest is history.

The siopao in Siopao King is what a siopao should taste like. If you choose authenticity over how food should be served, well, Siopao King is only operated by a Chinese couple that can barely speak the dialect. Heck, they only even watch a certain chinese channel. I asked where they ordered their buns, the chinese husband said that he personally make the buns.

Bola-Bola Pao

The taste of the bun is really fresh that it gives you the homey feeling. Not just that, the bun is brutally soft, it's like celebrity breast implants in your hands. Their Bola-Bola Pao's (meatball) meat might be minimal with the ingredients compared to the top chinese restaurants in Cebu but the taste is way much better. All meat, no fillers.

Asado Pao

The awesomeness of their siopao does not end with the bola-bola. Their Asado Pao is crazy! The sauce and the meat of their asado is exceptional. Sweet and a little spice with a pinch of pepper on it is all that you need. It is equivalent to Prada or whatever the number 1 brand in the bag industry is.

For only 25.00Php, you can enjoy the heavenly siopao (flavor of choice) and a bottle of Maja Salvador's scripted favorite softdrink.

Siopao-dom

Believe me when I say that Siopao King lives up to its name, it is the king and the ruler of Siopao-dom. Believe me when I tell you that there is no paper at the bottom of their siopao. Believe me when I tell you that it is worth the money that you spend on a siopao because my reputation is all over this blog.

Now that I have told you the tale of the Siopao King, would you believe me if I tell you that Angel Locsin and Ruffa Gutierrez have something in common they may not realize?

Six years ago, they both wanted me.

Siopao King can be found along the furniture and cellphone shops in Leon Kilat St., Cebu City (beside Cebu Colesium).

13 comments:

Anonymous,  November 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Uhmm... I tasted better siopao. Sa Lai Garden to siya. Mas lami pa jud to siya, IMO. Pero suwayan lang nah nako.

Mayang November 30, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

the best jud ni nga siopao..

jason,  December 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

@hakister

don't say it's better if you have not tasted it. anyways, as far as i know, this is the best siopao that i have ever tasted. :)

Anonymous,  December 23, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Your writing is mediocre. I like your concept but reading your reviews is a chore. I hope you don't take it personally. Just saying.

jason,  December 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

Oh don't worry, I never claim to be the best in the industry.

Thanks for reading Anon. :)

Unknown December 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

aguy naay nasuya nimo taba!!

Ozner Eseer January 13, 2010 at 5:31 AM  

Love siopao - and if I were only from Cebu and not DGT - I would definitely try this.

Why make a comment like that and be anonymous...coward!

Jason,  January 25, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

@honeylet

hehehe you should visit some time. :)

don't get trolled by that comment. hehehe

Aay February 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

Wow, impressed that BFF is a regular here. She chastised me for not following you much closer. What can I say, she's more of a food-lover than I am. And I am still waiting for my FoodTrip with Jason in Cebu!

Anyways, I'm amazed at how many people are mean in the net. Nobody gets to be ranked amongst top ten for being mediocre. So I beg to disagree to the coward!!!

Exz,  February 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Hater? Nyahahaha! Amen to you, GCF! I suuuuuper love this Siopao shop! This is the only Siopao-maker that I believe doesn't have CAT MEAT for fillings. (: Foodtrip nata oy!!

andak August 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

oy gimingaw na nuon ko kaon diha sa siopao king...mao man na akung cravings pag preggy nako..hehehehe!

Anonymous,  July 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM  

Anyone knows asa ni sila karon? :(

Edge August 31, 2022 at 11:58 AM  

Sa nabasa nako sa FB Group page nga Memories of Old Cebu (basta ing-ato), namatay na daw ang mag-asawa. Kadto maldita nga asawa nga insik mas una to namatay. Gidala daw sa China iya asawa. Pero kadto iya bana nga super buotan & down to Earth namatay daw early July 2020. Mao na ako nabasahan.

Lami baya ila siopao. 20 pesos daog na. Bisan tuod wala to batasan ang asawa nga insik, bawi rapod sa ila lasa sa siopao. Sayang wala na sila sa pagkakaron. Memories nalang ni sa mga Cebuanos nga wala idea about aning Siopao King.

Post a Comment

What does your appetite say?

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP